WordPress.org yesterday announced a release candidate of version 2.8 of their popular blogging software.
If no show stoppers are found it is expected to be rolled out this Wednesday (10th June) to all who wish to upgrade.
2.8 includes a host of new features, far too many to list here so for those interested clicky here to read the list
- New drag-and-drop widgets admin interface and new widgets API
- Syntax highlighting and function lookup built into plugin and theme editors
- Browse the theme directory and install themes from the admin
- Allow the dashboard widgets to be arranged in up to four columns
- Allow configuring the number of items to show on management pages with an option in Screen Options
- Support timezones and automatic daylight savings time adjustment
- Support IIS 7.0 URL Rewrite Module
- Faster loading of admin pages via script compression and concatenation
If you want to preview the release, you can download version 2.8rc1 here